March 2013. In an attempt to remove the 1.7 lb nose weight, we looked at the tail and decided to rebuild it this winter.
Here is the new tail under construction.
March 2013 - Rebuild of tail #3 begins. I decided to use mainly balsa to complete the build. Notice a few design changes.
To add strength to the horizontal stabilizer, we changed the design and extended the forward leading edges into the middle, and modified the mounting block (now balsa - was basswood) to lock everything together.
This idea came from one of our customers. He was building the rudders and elevators traditionally to reflect the look of how the B25's were build, so we built them stick style and eliminated the sheeting. Notice the reduction in the elevators - shortened by 1/4 inch.
Here we are building the rudders, again stick style and no sheeting.
The forward vertical surfaces of the rudder were built as before.
Main connector for the rudders. That is nothing more than a control horn bolted to a piece of plastic with holes for the control rods to connect to.
Top view down of the Horizontal Stabilizer.
Views of the Fuselage where the tail connects. the balsa blocking is new (removed basswood blocking). Not the small basswood blocks under the balsa the 1/4-20 nylon bolts will screw into.
Horizontal stabilizer connects to the Fuse with four 1/4-20 nylon bolts.
A few pictures showing the connection of the Horizontal Stabilizer to the Vertical surface.
These are pictures of the original tail, built back in 2007.
5.1.2006 - mechanicals installed in the rudder.
5.1.2006. The mechanicals were installed and tested in the
rudder before apply the top sheeting. hatches will cover the
bell cranks in the event access is needed.
The rudders are connected to the vertical stabilizer with a 2-56
Dubro rod, extending through the height of the rudder. The top
will have a 90 degree bend, and the bottom will have the nuts.